Networking : how to bridge two NICs to share internet access ?

Peter Simpson ubuntu at petethetree.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 13:53:19 UTC 2005

On Thursday 25 Aug 2005 14:16, Alvin Thompson wrote:
> Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > 2) later, when I actually come round to building a home network, I will
> > buy a switch (sounds like it's sufficient from your description) and
> > some cables...
>
> take my advice: for the cost of a good switch, you can buy a Linksys
> WRT54G wireless router, which does the entire job and much more (DNS,
> DHCP etc), is easy to set up, and is so powerful that you can run linux
> on it as well! there are entire sites dedicated to flashing bigger and
> badder features on this thing. and they're so cheap! these things have
> definitely stolen the routing job from linux boxes in the last few years.
>
> -alvin

Except if you're going to run your own public internet services in which case
you can just add another interface to get a DMZ, you could also add traffic
shaping and a proxy.

Sometime after that you might like to install some sort of VPN (which still
makes me think Visible Panty N....).

Maybe you want to just allow ssh, or run an internal email server on the
same.....

You cannot beat a Linux server in this place.

Just a personal opinion.

Cheers,