KDE Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 24 18:32:28 UTC 2005

Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:05:51 -0300
> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> Brian Astill wrote:
>>
>> > You can indeed do as you wish and the result will also be as you wish.
>> > I should know - that's what I did, so I know it works flawlessly.
>> > Also gives you a MUCH more full-featured KDE and apps than are
>> > available in Kubuntu.
>>
>> Like what???  I've installed kubuntu-desktop over ubuntu, and installed
>> kubuntu from CD, and didn't see the difference (except that there are
>> gnome
>> apps that I don't want in the former method).  I have to admit though,
>> that in both cases I promptly reinstalled all the kde extras that I'd had
>> under Debian.
>
> I installed kubuntu-desktop and was quite happy with the result: but after
> reading this I did a
>
> sudo apt-get install -s kde

OK, I guess I misread the previous post - I was thinking he meant it was
better to install kubuntu-desktop over ubuntu than installing kubuntu.

> Over 100MB of other stuff !
>
> Try it, if you only installed kubuntu-desktop. I don't need all that, but
> it's a pretty significant difference!

So, kde contains significantly more packages than kubuntu-dekstop, but does
it make your desktop any more "full-featured"?  In my case it would have
been 135MB, but I removed kubuntu-desktop and dozens of useless little
apps...  afaict, installing kde instead of kubuntu-desktop install a bunch
of dev libraries (probably just enough to run kdevelop), all the games, and
Festival.

What's in there that I _need_?
--
derek