KDE Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 24 16:57:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:05:51 -0300
Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Brian Astill wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:27 am, Steve wrote:
> >> I am using Ubuntu (Gnome) currently. If I just apt-get KDE and all
> >> associated libs, will I be able to log in with a fully functioning KDE
> >> desktop? Or are there some issues with that?
> >
> > This is getting to be a FAQ!  :-)
> > You can indeed do as you wish and the result will also be as you wish.
> > I should know - that's what I did, so I know it works flawlessly.
> > Also gives you a MUCH more full-featured KDE and apps than are available
> > in Kubuntu.
>
> Like what???  I've installed kubuntu-desktop over ubuntu, and installed
> kubuntu from CD, and didn't see the difference (except that there are gnome
> apps that I don't want in the former method).  I have to admit though, that
> in both cases I promptly reinstalled all the kde extras that I'd had under
> Debian.
> --
> derek

I installed kubuntu-desktop and was quite happy with the result: but after reading this I did a

sudo apt-get install -s kde

to simulate what would happen..... gah!
Over 100MB of other stuff !

Try it, if you only installed kubuntu-desktop. I don't need all that, but it's a pretty significant difference!

Peter

--
Linux User #343161