german keyboard encoding and vim

Christoph Georgi christoph.georgi at web.de
Wed Aug 24 07:58:29 UTC 2005

hi,

i stumbled yesterday over a problem with my german keyboard when
creating latex documents..

i use a german (notebook) keyboard and a "not-localised" version of
Ubuntu. and within X everything (seems) to work fine with the special
german characters ö, ä, ü, and ß (as you can see  ;)  )
however, in the console i have to manually load the keys with
'$ loadkeys de-latin1'
and everything (seems) to work fine..

no comes the problem: using vim in the console i don't get the special
characters, but these strange hieroglyphs. using vim in X, it displays
me the correct characters, but, latex does not find the appropriate
codes in its german keyboard mapping (using
'\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}') and i get these hieroglyphs in the
output file  :(  the latex log tells me, that the inputenc package doesn't
know e.g. '^^f9' (or something along this line); which seems to me to be
a very stange keycode..

as far as i can tell, the whole code thing is somehow messed up, and vim
is using some different keyboard mapping tables then X and the
console?!?! i already checked  xmodmap -pk, but the alphabetic keys
aren't mapped there.. just the "commandkeys" like backspace.

can anyone help me out on this subject?! is there any command to figure
out what code which key produces (esp. for vim) as i could then hack my
own keyboard code mapping thingy for latex?

thanks,
christoph

--

Christoph Georgi