gnome apps in kde

someone yustabenull at comcast.net
Wed Aug 24 00:28:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:30:05 +1000, Lionel van den Berg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying Ubuntu for the first time, I've been using Mandriva for a
> couple of years. So far it looks decent but I have some things that I
> would like to change.
>
> I have found after downloading and installing kde that the apps that
> appear to be gnome in origin, such as gaim, and some others such as
> firefox, thunderbird and synaptic look pretty bad in kde. The fonts are
> small and the them is very plane. I have adjusted some kde font settings
> etc. but it doesn't seem to be affecting these apps. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lionel.

re Gnome fonts in Kde

look in Kinfocenter | X-server | available screens | dimensions; note the
one given in mm (mine says 260 x 195 mm). Add a line in Monitor section of
XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf (/etc/X11/) eg

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "A90"
        HorizSync       30-86
        VertRefresh     50-180
        Option          "DPMS"
# added by yustabe 10/17/04
        DisplaySize     260 195
EndSection

restart xserver (ctrl-alt-backspace is an easy way); this has been
satisfactory for me using a couple of Mandrake versions and Sarge, both
using xfree, and seems to work just as well on recent Kubuntu install
(xorg).