Crashing with Dell

Dennis_Drescher at sil.org Dennis_Drescher at sil.org
Tue Aug 23 22:05:28 UTC 2005

> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:36:12 -0500
> From: Jonathan Saylor <jvsaylor at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Crashing with Dell
>
> Dennis,
>
>    I don't know about the Precision 330 and Latitude D610 however my
> partner at work has a Dell Insperion 1100 and was having it lock up on
> without any consistancy as to when and why nearly identical to what you
> are experiancing.  We have found that in the Insperion 1100 they used
> "non-qualified" RAM for those motherboards (2 128MB sticks).  Intel
> qualifies RAM for thier motherboards for a reason, Dell has a habbit of
> ignoring it.  He replaced the RAM with what is qualified by INTEL for
> that motherboard and the problem has gone away.  Now note, this RAM
> worked perfectly fine in Windows and in other linux distros without
> fail.  Ubuntu isn't the only distro he had THIS problem with just not
all.

> Jon

Thanks Jon for the tip on the memory. I hope your wrong but it could be. I
still need to try SSHing into it to see if it is actually locked up hard
or not. Then I need try the "breezy" kernel. In the Precision 330 I'm
using two matched 512 MB RAM bus memory sticks. It is what Dell
recommended but as you pointed out, they may have recommended the wrong
thing. We'll see...

Dennis