Struggeling

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 23 13:00:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:25:11 +0200
"Slabber A <14565471 at sun.ac.za>" <14565471 at sun.ac.za> wrote:

> Hi I don't know if I am aloud to ask so many questions in one msg,(im
> still rather new) but ya here it goes.
>
> 1. I still cant watch AVI movies, tried to install codec's as
> explained in Ubuntu Userguied but I keep getting a msg that says
> "E:couldnt find package". Same happens when I tried to install VLC.

What does your etc/apt/sources.lst say?  Perhaps you need to uncomment
some sources.  And comment out the CD.

> 2. Cant listen to MP3 I think it is also a codec's problem.

Do you ever get any sound from your machine at all?  If not, check your
volume.

> 3. Struggling to set up Internet connection I have a dial up modem,
> just don't know how to set it up or make it dial a #.

As root <pppconfig> and go through the configuration, then you can just
type<pon> at a terminal prompt to enable the connection, <poff> to turn
it off.

> 4.I have a Samsung YH 820 MP3 player if I connect it to USB the MP3
> player boots and then says transferring but nothing happens in Ubuntu.
> If I then plug it out the MP3 player says please safely remove
> hardware from windows.(works perfectly in Windows).

Here I can't help you.  Not running Gnome, I must do these things by
hand.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
'And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely