Struggeling

squareyes squareyes at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 23 10:24:53 UTC 2005

Slabber A <14565471 at sun.ac.za> wrote:

>Hi I don't know if I am aloud to ask so many questions in one msg,(im still rather new) but ya here it goes.
>
>1. I still cant watch AVI movies, tried to install codec's as explained in Ubuntu Userguied but I keep getting a msg that says "E:couldnt find package". Same happens when I tried to install VLC.
>
>2. Cant listen to MP3 I think it is also a codec's problem.
>
>3. Struggling to set up Internet connection I have a dial up modem, just don't know how to set it up or make it dial a #.
>
>4.I have a Samsung YH 820 MP3 player if I connect it to USB the MP3 player boots and then says transferring but nothing happens in Ubuntu. If I then plug it out the MP3 player says please safely remove hardware from windows.(works perfectly in Windows).
>
>5.Got it right to mount Windows hard drive in Ubuntu but as soon as I reboot it disappears again and I have to mount it again but the fstab file still has the command in it tho.
>
>Thanks I really like Ubuntu (Windows sucks its boring) but I guess im just really struggling with the basics.Thanks for your help.
>Ash

Hi Ash,
1. Did you set up the repositories list as per Unofficial users guide,

http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#extrarepositories

you may not have access to the necessary repositories
to install the codecs?
2, Above may help with mp3 codecs.
3. Have a look at

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/squareyes/hoary.html#internet

may help. You will have to tell setup which port your modem is connected
to if it's not found automatically.
once all details are entered, and you have exited setup, turn on modem
if it's external, open a terminal and
type  pon and the name you entered for your isp in the setup .I type
pon optusnet. and enter
To dissconnect type poff and enter
Hope this helps
Take Care