First computer language

Hakim Singhji hzs202 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 18:43:54 UTC 2005

On 8/22/05, Dick Davies <rasputnik at gmail.com> wrote:
> ESR talks a lot of bull sometimes. An experienced Brainf*ck programmer
> does'nt need a manual, that's what 'experienced' means.

Are you trying to telling me that an experienced Java programmer doesn't need a
way to sift through the ridiculous and growing number of APIs to
design a decent application.

> That's not to say C isn't Gods Own Language, just that it's too much
> too soon. You might as well suggest assembler.

That is not fair! Although learning assembler will help to make one a
more efficient programmer of any language, as will C.

> One last point: to learn a language you have to *use* it. Learning
> from books teaches the basics, but then you're much better off getting
> some open source package (ideally one you use) and reading through
> it's source.

Agreed, which is why I suggested C or Python. Or Ruby just as well...
but I am not so familiar with Ruby.
--
Hakim Singhji
hzs202 at nyu.edu