First computer language

Sean Sieger sean.sieger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 19:09:15 UTC 2005

Rajiv Vyas <rajiv1 at gmail.com> writes:

> I am thinking about learning Perl (other possibilities are Python,
> Ruby and Lisp). This will be my first computer language. Any
> suggestions on which books I should buy for absolute beginners in
> programming and perl?

Before your buy a single perl book: install perl-doc and then do:

perldoc perl

I'm telling you Rajiv, it's the motherload and it'll keep you busy
for the next year. I have yet to purchase, Mastering Regular Expressions,
but my guess is, the regular expression stuff in perldoc (perlrequick,
perlretut, perlre and perlreref) must rival that well recommended book.
--
Sean Sieger