new motherboard - reinstall ubuntu?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Mon Aug 22 10:14:25 UTC 2005

> I don't think you'll have to actually reinstall since hotplug takes
> care of new hardware, but if the motherboard has an integrated video
> card, you'll probably need to do a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg" so the X configuration file can be regenerated for the
> new card.

Would it be possible to remove the need for "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg" (for example by automating the process). Then, supposedly,
one could just plug in a new graphics card and go on using his system.
It feels a little funny to be able to do this with the motherboard but
not with the graphics card.

Regards,

Ari