Transferring data - but don't trust your media

Morten W. J. morten at newtec.dk
Mon Aug 22 07:59:52 UTC 2005

> CD's are a better idea, BUT........
>
> An aquaintenance of mine had her only copy of 3 years work stored on a CD,
> which she then lent to a "friend" who apparently used it as a dinner
> plate. It came back with grease and scratches.
>
> I was able to read most of the data (about 95%), but some is gone for
> ever.
>
> CD's are not perfect storage media.

CD's are quite good, but is you descide to give them away, smash them with a
hammer, scratch them with a fork, etc. it is your fault - not the CD's.

I would say your aquaintenance is - hmmm stupid, sorry to say so - to give
away her only copy of her valuable data. It is not the CD which descided to
be geven to an orge who doesn't know how to handle CD's.

The Dead Sea Scrools are, approx. more than 2000 years old and still holds
readable data - good medium. But if I set them on fire they would burn, but
that is not because scrolls are a bad medium. It would just be me not knowing
how to handle scrolls....

--
Morten W. Jørgensen