Hoary freezes!

Santanu Chatterjee thisissantanu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 07:40:56 UTC 2005

Hello everybody,

So far, I have used Hoary Hedgehog on my home computer without any
trouble. I kept the computer on for as long as ten days at a stretch, but it
never froze.

But now, I have installed Hoary on several of the computers at our
lab. The machines
are all P4 2.4GHz, but with only 128MB RAM. Here I use GNOME. The
problem is that
after several hours of work, the machine freezes...hard, and requires a reboot.
This has happened several times.

One hint I got is that sometimes, 'free -m' shows only 1MB of free
RAM. So I thought
that it has to be RAM related problem. I now use ratpoison window
manager. But still,
last Saturday, I left the computer on and went home. Today, I returned
and found it
frozen, just like before. Not just this one, but the problem seems to be there
on every 128MB RAM machines here as well (those that have Hoary. We don't have
Warty here, but even Kubuntu machines have got the same problem).

At home I don't have this problem, but there I have 256MB RAM. Or is
it because of some
hibernate thingy that is there in Ubuntu?

Can somebody please suggest something as to what might be the actual cause of
this problem?

Regards,
Santanu