updated Hoary kernel doesn't boot?

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 04:00:25 UTC 2005

On 8/20/05, Harry Wert <hwert at earthlink.net> wrote:

>  I had to revert to my earlier kernel as I had the same problem.
> Fortunately, I never upgrade without keeping a working kernel in Grub for
> just this reason. FWIW

I thought of doing that, but unfortunately the upgrade process didn't
work as I expected it to. I could have sworn that in the past, when
new kernels were made available, they were added to /boot and Grub. In
this case it appears that it replaced the existing kernel (both the
686-smp that I usually use, and 386 which usually always works).

I'm guessing that something got screwed up with the whole update.
Reiser not working AND the upgrade discrepancy. *shrug* I'm a night
owl so I'm just now getting around to look into it a bit more. I'm
hoping that booting the live cd and poking around a bit will reveal
that the older kernels are indeed still there - they just need to be
added back into Grub's menu.lst. When you edit a line in the Grub menu
during bootup, does the autocomplete only give you the other options
in menu.lst, or does it actually look in the /boot directory (which is
on the disk where it claims it can't mount the filesystem)? I'm
guessing it's the former.

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu