Old World Mac

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 02:38:29 UTC 2005

On 8/20/05, Peter Gort <pgort at iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> I have been given a Powermac
> 8600/250 with 224MBs of ram.  ...  Worked perfectly first time
> except.....
>
> No X11 .  Text mode is working perfectly but no X11.

You will want to identify your video hardware for future reference.
You can use the "lspci" command to look at the PCI devices -- one of
them may say "display controller" and list the chip it uses.

You can do some Google searches and be sure to include keywords linux
and the display chip model.

Also do a Google search on your monitor's model number and find its
EXACT video characteristics. You want to know Vertical frequency and
Horizontal frequency, for instance. Both may have an acceptable range.

Then issue this command

sudo dpkg reconfigure xserver-xorg

and go through all the prompts. That might get you going. If not,
there may be some further hints on the pages that list your video
card. I can't remember if the video on your model is built in or on a
separate card.

On an old Power Mac 9600 I was trying to get running, it turns out the
video card that comes with it is NOTORIOUS for being hard to use with
linux, so I got a much easier to use card on eBay, and made a lot more
progress.

Good luck!