Old World Mac

Peter Gort pgort at iprimus.com.au
Sat Aug 20 22:29:54 UTC 2005

Hi Rainer, All,

Sorry I've been really busy and didn't see your post about installing
on old world until I got around to catching up with my emails this
morning.  below is how I did it in one pass of the installer with
Hoary (installer does support mount -t hfs), but I never did get
video working on that machine after the install.

However I now have a different problem!  I have been given a Powermac
8600/250 with 224MBs of ram.  Perfect for Ubuntu I thought!  It came
with a whale of a monitor, a humungous 20" thing that takes two men
to lift it.  I grabbed the scsi hard drive from the 7600 that had the
base Mac OS 8 system with BootX, fitted into the 8600 and ran an
install of Kubuntu/Hoary onto it.  Worked perfectly first time
except.....

No X11 .  Text mode is working perfectly but no X11.  I'm looking at
the text mode login prompt and muttering to myself....;-)  I haven't
got a clue where to look to start diagnosing this type of thing yet,
so can anyone point me to where to look for the problem and where to
tweak to bring it up?  In Mac OS, it appears to lack video ram and
only supports maximum colours of 16 bit at 1024*768.  Any higher
resolutions revert to 8 bit colour.

Peter