Mezzo Desktop? -- not yet fonctionnal on PowerPC cpus.

Martin Marcher ekimus at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Aug 19 07:17:03 UTC 2005

Hi,

Am Freitag 19 August 2005 02:34 schrieb Andrew:
>  gave it a try on a powerpc but it would not load. I get just a spinning
> wheel. I tried to switch to tty1 in hope to extract some infos and datas
> but the computer bounced my back to GDM screen. Fiddling around eventually
> lead me to a 'mezzo-bin: could not execute binary file' so it must be a ppc
> specific issue (byte order swap?!) It seam the 'mezzo' and 'mezzo-bin'

yes. it's just available for x86 afaik. but anyway it's still an alpha stage
software.

> executables are actually 'firefox' and 'firefox-bin' renamed.. I have made
> a thread of their forum but I am not a programmer so take my words for what
> they are worth ;);)

no not exactly from the documentation i found it's a stripped down version of
the rendering engine that firefox uses (gecko). It wouldn't surprise me if
there's lots of firefox stuff still in these binaries.

btw. the window manager is just fvwm.

the overall design ist fvwm as a window manager. a stripped down webserver for
the desklets (the regions you see in the screenshots) that parses (atm) perl
python ruby scripts and calls the corresponding links

NOTE: this is a very very very general description. people might even say it's
wrong but that's the most simple desc. i could think of atm.

martin