Extremely slow burning in K3B

Jim McQuiston jsmcq at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 04:38:00 UTC 2005

First let me apologize for the lengthy post, however I thought it
better to supply more information than not enough.  I am having great
difficulties in getting K3B to burn at speeds greater than 4X despite
have a burner capable of 48X. I have endeavored to read up on the
issues surrounding poor burning speeds and believe that I have tackled
issues surrounding enabling DMA and setting the SUID bit on CDRECORD.
However, I am getting nowhere and request the sage advice of
Ubuntu/Kubuntu users. Hopefully, I have provided comprehensive
diagnostic information below:

root at virgil:/home # uname -a
Linux virgil 2.6.10-5-amd64-generic #1 Fri Jun 24 16:54:18 UTC 2005
x86_64 GNU/Linux

root at virgil:/home # cdrecord -checkdrive
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a38 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an unofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.10-5-amd64-generic
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or
Solaris.
scsidev: '1,5,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 5 lun: 0
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot
open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .

root at virgil:/home # hdparm -I /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
        Model Number:       LITE-ON LTR-48246S
        Serial Number:
        Firmware Revision:  SS09
Standards:
        Used: ATAPI for CD-ROMs, SFF-8020i, r2.5
        Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-2
Configuration:
        DRQ response: 50us.
        Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=227ns  IORDY flow control=120ns

root at virgil:/home # chmod u+s /usr/bin/cdrecord.*
root at virgil:/home #

from /etc/hdparm

#/dev/discs/disc0/disc {
#    mult_sect_io = 16
#    write_cache = off
#    spindown_time = 240
#}

#/dev/discs/disc1/disc {
#    mult_sect_io = 32
#    spindown_time = 36
#    write_cache = off
#}

#/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 {
#    dma = on
#    interrupt_unmask = on
#    io32_support = 0
#}

#/dev/hda {
#    mult_sect_io = 16
#    write_cache = off
#    dma = on
#}

#command_line {
#       hdparm -q -m16 -q -W0 -q -d1 /dev/hda
#}
/dev/hdc {

    dma = on
    interrupt_unmask = on
    io32_support = 1

}
/dev/hdd {

    dma = on
    interrupt_unmask = on
    io32_support = 1

}

# Addition by kudos unofficial kubuntu faq
command_line {
    hdparm -c3 -d1 -m16 /dev/[hs]d?
}

Again, my apologies for the lengthy post.  Thank you, in advance, for
your time and assistance.

- --
 Jim McQuiston

Registered Linux User #375957
 "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many
souls must be trampeled." -- Hunter S.Thompson