Compaq Presario (V2305CA) laptop and Ubuntu

tmilam ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Aug 16 18:48:20 UTC 2005

Good news! Here are solutions to two problems. It seems lspci doesn't
recognize alot of the hardware in this notebook. Run update-usbids and
then run update-pciids. Now all of your hardware should be recognized
when you run lspci.

Also, I'm seeing faster disk writes now. Check this out:

Code:
--------------------
    /dev/hda:

  Timing buffered disk reads:  102 MB in  3.03 seconds =  33.61 MB/sec
--------------------

The first thing that caused the speed increase is switching kernels...I
mentioned that earlier. But what *doubled* my speed is changing
/boot/grub/menu.lst to the following:

Code:

  kernel          /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro acpi=off console=tty0 single

I just needed to remove 'noapic' and add acpi=off. I think this is fast
as the hard drive gets on the 5400rpm drive. I'm happy with it :D

--
tmilam