Ubuntu's Perl

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Mon Aug 15 16:31:20 UTC 2005

Anthony Gardner wrote:

>This is quite advanced, I think, so I'll keep it quite
>high level.
>
>The Perl that comes with hoary is compiled with cc.
>Now, I have had to install a fresh version of Perl
>under /opt (but that's not important) because I wanted
>to install Apache/mod_perl and associated libs and
>Apache (downloaded from apache.org) needs to be
>compiled with gcc. thus, it needs Perl to be compiled
>with gcc.
>
>Firstly, why is Ubuntu's Perl compiled with cc when I
>would've thought the default compiler under Linux is
>gcc

On_some_ubuntu_hoary_box:~$ cc --v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5/specs
Configured with: ../src/configure -v
--enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,pascal,objc,ada,treelang --prefix=/usr
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.3 --enable-shared
--with-system-zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext
--enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-debug
--enable-java-gc=boehm --enable-java-awt=xlib --enable-objc-gc i486-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)

cc is an alias for the standard compiler on a box

>Secondly, does anyone know of a better way I should've
>done it?

Use cc, or am I misunderstanding

>Thirdly, why doess Ubuntu spread Perl all over the
>place? It's in /usr, /usr/local, /etc (I think) and
>probably even under /var.

  /usr/bin/perl
  /usr/lib/perl5/*
  /usr/share/doc/perl
on an RHEL3 box -

Where you alias /perl/ now that might be another thing :)

snip

Regards

Paul