Ubuntu's Perl

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Aug 15 15:29:01 UTC 2005

Anthony Gardner wrote:

> This is quite advanced, I think, so I'll keep it quite
> high level.
>
> The Perl that comes with hoary is compiled with cc.
> Now, I have had to install a fresh version of Perl
> under /opt (but that's not important) because I wanted
> to install Apache/mod_perl and associated libs and
> Apache (downloaded from apache.org) needs to be
> compiled with gcc. thus, it needs Perl to be compiled
> with gcc.

??  Doesn't make sense to me...

> Thirdly, why doess Ubuntu spread Perl all over the
> place? It's in /usr, /usr/local, /etc (I think) and
> probably even under /var.

Debian policy.  Though ubuntu (and Debian policy) doesn't put _anything_
in /usr/local.  There's only two files in /etc/perl (on my system) and
nothing in /var except the dpkg (install) files.  So Ubuntu's perl files
are hardly installed "all over the place", but if you install any perl
modules from CPAN instead of an ubuntu/debian repository they're likely to
go to a different place.

> I'm very curious about this as I've used RH and SUSE
> over 6 years and have never come across this b4.

They don't use Debian policy :-)
--
derek