Verizon DSL

Rogelio Nodal rnodal at pegasus.rutgers.edu
Mon Aug 15 15:18:04 UTC 2005

Ok here is my verizon story, since im a verizon user.(God bless me).

    My very first own computer that I had when I first got verizon was a
Linux machine, no windows. The computer was to old to run
windows(nothing new there). It was mandrake linux 9.0, I think that I
was running at that time. As soon as my DSL account was activated and
you could check by plugging the modem to the phone line and the ready
LED should be still, not blinking(it may be different in other modems),
I configured my internet by using a tool provided by Mandrake, all I
needed to know was the ISP, username and password. That was it. Also
when installing different different linux's, you normaly get asked the
type of connection that you have and I always chose, pppoe( I forgot how
to spell it, sorry). And always provided the same info, ISP, username
and password, and always left the rest as default, at that time I did
not knew what dynamic and static ip were, so I left it alone :). After
that I starting using a router so, I naver had to set up my DSL account
in ubuntu. But yes I agree with everyone, dont waste your time with
techsupport, they know a lot of nothing. All they know is: Open the CD
tray, Inserter CD, Follow instructions, thanks for calling, good bye. Ok
done with garbage talking.

> Rajiv Vyas <rajiv1 at gmail.com> writes:

Just one question: how dangerous is static vs dynamic? What am I
scarifying or risking?

First you must understand the differences between static and dynamic,
static you will always have the same IP address, while in dynamic you
may get up to 3 different IP address (at least with verizon). Now in
terms of security, if someone is going to attack you, all they need to
do is scan your network to find your ip address if it changed, while if
you have it static they dont have to do that because it is always the
same. Ok lets say you are give, 198.3.4.2, if you are static that would
be your IP address all the time. Now if you have it dynamic, yoiu may
get 198.3.4.5, or another one, most of the time the last number is the
one that changes. So it is  not a problem to find your ip address, even
if you have it dynamic by just scanning 198.3..4.*, so do not rely on
this as a security method. My poin is that dynamic and static does not
may your computer more secure or less secure. Use a firewall. Now it
terms of use. If your going to run a server, you better go with static,
ip address, or else you will not be able to conect the next time your IP
address changes. Now if your just a client, it does not really matters.
I hope this helped in anything.

    -R