man and grub/root password questions

gmiller at tx.psych.uiuc.edu gmiller at tx.psych.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 15 15:04:56 UTC 2005

I just installed Ubuntu, dual-booting on one WinXP system and running
under VMware on another WinXP system. 2 basic questions -

1) When I get to the end of a man page in a terminal window, what should
I do to exit man and get back to the command prompt? In Solaris, an
extra <CR> will do it, but I haven't found a way in Ubuntu (or Xandros).

2) I gather that, to set which OS to boot by default after the time-out
on the dual-boot system, I need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, but to do
so apparently I have to be root. During install, Ubuntu didn't ask for a
root password (at least it didn't call it that). It did automatically
set up one user account, and with the password I entered for that I'm
able to download and install updates. But that password doesn't work as
the root password following my entering "su". Is there a default root
password I can use (and change)? or a way to set the root password?

Thank you.
Greg Miller