Removing pre-installed apps

Mike Ginou mike at ginou.ca
Mon Aug 15 14:54:58 UTC 2005

Hmmm, that's a surprise, removing Ubuntu-Desktop shouldn't actually
affect your system in any way. It doesn't actually provide any
functionality itself, it simply links to all of the software that makes
up the base Ubuntu install.

Installing Ubuntu-Desktop forces the install of all of those base
packages, however removing it should not remove any of the installed
packages (you should be able to verify this simply by attempting to
remove it by itself).

In short, give it another try, you should be fine. If you're feeling
cautious though, try just removing Ubuntu-Desktop by itself, you should
find that doing that doesn't remove any critical packages (I'd be
surprised, in fact, if it removed any other packages).

I would suspect that you accidentally removed the 'gdm' package the last
time, possibly because it depended upon something that you wanted to
remove. Removing evolution should also be straightforward, though you
may find it more difficult to remove the evolution-data-server as there
are several applications that depend upon it (including, I believe the
gnome-panel clock applet :) ).

Mike