First computer language

Anthony Gardner cyclewood_ltd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 14:47:08 UTC 2005

Perl is a good way to go but b4 you buy any books,
look at stuff in the web to learn how to program. It's
not all that difficult though.

Secondly, look at the O'Reilly books for Perl and once
you feel comfortable with Perl, look at other
languages like Ruby, Python etc to see how they work.
Again, the Oreilly books are the best IMHO. Stay away
from books of 1000 pages as they're just waffle. On
Amazon, look at the responses to get an idea.

Also, it depends on what you want to do. If you want
to do web development, you could look at PHP5.
Personally, I think Perl's HTML::Mason is much better.

Lastly, C is a good language but not for the faint
hearted and the K&R book is a no no for a beginner.
It's only a reference book.

Hope this helps.

-Ants