Java

Janne Vänttinen janne.vanttinen at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon Aug 15 09:08:58 UTC 2005

Hakim Singhji wrote:

 > On 8/12/05, Andrew Millar <andy-mail at priorityonline.net> wrote:
 >
 >>> I personally hated java when I tried to use it.
 >

 > Personally, Java is one of my least favored programming languages...
 > its right up there with VB. But it has become a serious tool in the

Uh, that's a heavy statement...

 > Wide World of Web. So I rather join them... I admire those who fight
 > them though... especially if they come up with an alternative.

I have long wondered where is this open-source anti-Java sentiment
coming from (not necessarily meaning your personal opinions, but overall
Linux-users seem quite hostile to Java). I understand that the pain of
getting Java to work on Linux is usually very real, but shouldn't this
make us anti-Sun instead? It's not the language's fault that the licence
sucks.

Java seems to be a common first language taught in schools and such, it
was for me, and personally I like it a lot. Learning C has on the
contrary been an uphill battle for me.

 > BTW we should probably kill this thread guys.

Well, let's just say I don't seem to be good at taking suggestions ;)