sound problem

Kush kushsingh at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 15 01:05:21 UTC 2005

Kussh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have tried everything written in the ubuntu starter guide, the ubuntu
> wiki documentation for sound debugging/trouble shooting but though my
> via sound hardware is detected as an integrated part of the motherboard,
> no sound comes.
>
> The system works fine with windows but not with ubuntu. Have even
> replaced esd with polypaudio but no luck.
>
> Can somebody go over the steps one by one with me to locate the problem.
>  I don't think it is an irq conflict problem as the system is working
> fine in windows. Its just a case of not knowing the right configuration
> parameters.
>
> TIA,
>
> Kussh

lspci gives the following information
..

0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
..

and  aplay -l gives this

card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 0: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 3/4
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 1: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0