Can't unmount cdrom

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Mon Aug 15 00:32:08 UTC 2005

Audrius wrote:
> I checked what processes are using the device. It was gam_server. Does
> anyone know why this process was using my device?

gam_server is part of the gamin package.  From Synaptic:

"Gamin is a file and directory monitoring system defined to be a
subset of the FAM (File Alteration Monitor) system."

It keeps track of when changes are made to a filesystem.  So if you
copy a file to a directory that is open in another window with
nautilus, that window gets updated right away without having to
reread the directory.  Very useful.

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

When one door of happiness closes, another opens;
but often we look so long at the closed door that
we do not see the one which has opened for us.
- Helen Keller