Vertical flickering bands on analog TFT using i810

MrKnisely mrknisely at mrknisely.is-a-geek.org
Sun Aug 14 15:14:55 UTC 2005

Michael Wardle wrote:

>I note your display only supports a maximum vertical refresh rate of 76
>Hz, so obviously 85 Hz is out, and most people find 60 Hz difficult to
>look at for long periods.
>
>With such a video card, the obvious solution is to settle for a lower
>display resolution, such as 1152x864 or 1024x768.
>
>I also note that your X server log states that it was unable to use the
>direct rendering interface (DRI).  Since the i810 uses the system memory
>(and hence the system bus), technologies like DRI and DMA could be even
>more important.  This makes me think it would be worthwhile trying a
>default color depth of 16 bits per pixel instead of 24 bpp.  This can be
>changed in the "Screen" section of xorg.conf.
>
>Hope this helps

It's important to remember why people don't like 60Hz...

60Hz is the frequency that AC current runs in the US.  With florecent
lighting there is a flicker then the AC current flow flips.  This
flicker has a tendancy to sync-up with the scanning electron gun in CRT
monitors.  When the two sync there is a noticable flicker in the
screen.  This flicker causes eyestrain.

This is not an issue with LCD style monitors since they have no electron
gun to refresh the screen.  Many LCD type screen manufacturers suggest
running their screens at 60Hz.

MrKnisely