New to Ubuntu

Anthony Gardner cyclewood_ltd at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 14 09:22:43 UTC 2005

I think you may be a little confused as there's no
'root' with Ubuntu. You just sudo to obtain root
priviliges.

PATH can be set up in your .bashrc file. Type ls -a in
your home directory to see your . (dot) files.

PATH probable won't exist of a freshly installed
version so add export
PATH=$PATH:/my/new/path:my/new/path2:.  etc.

(un)install programs with synaptic. From the command
line you can run sudo synaptic or sudu apt-get
[arguments]

but I've never really used apt-get.

mp3 player ... mplayer, xmms, xine but you'll neded to
install external libs now.

www.ubuntu.com .... go to the Wiki , do a search on
some key words and you'll get help.