New to Ubuntu

Michael Wardle michael at endbracket.net
Sun Aug 14 09:21:50 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 12:01 +0300, Audrius wrote:
> 1. How do I install any application when I'm logged in as a user (not
> root user,

Use the "sudo" command.  Its purpose in Ubuntu Linux is well documented.
It lets you run any command as root.

In the case of the Java Runtime Environment, you might need to install
it using "sudo sh java-1.5.bin" or similar, since the file you
downloaded is actually a shell script.

For officially supported packages, you can also use the Synaptic Package
Manager under the System->Administration menu.

> 2. Suppose I installed JRE in /usr/java. Now I need to set-up my PATH
> environment variable in order applications that uses java cnows where
> to find it. How do I set up environment variables under Ubuntu?

The standard answer is to modify /etc/profile, but this doesn't modify
PATH for non-login sessions (for instance, if you use ssh or rsh to run
a single command on your machine).

My suggestion is to learn about /etc/environment and pam_env, but you
might still find /etc/profile the easiest.

> 3. How do I uninstall applications from Ubuntu? For example I want to
> uninstall Gimp. What steps should I take?

"apt-get remove <application name>" or the package manager.

> 4. What mp3 player could you guys recomend me. It would be great that
> it's interface would be similiar to winamp. And it's also preferable
> that the installation would be as friendly as possible :)

I like Rhythmbox, a simple library-based music player similar to iTunes.
Other popular graphical applications include Muine, a simple album-based
music player and JuK, a media player integrated with the KDE desktop.

If you like Winamp 2, the closest thing is XMMS, but you won't need to
worry about playlists and manually opening files once you get used to
Rhythmbox.

> 5. How to place my application's icon in the Applications "menu" (I
> don't really know how it is called)?

Install the "smeg" menu editor package then run it from the
Applications->System Tools menu.

You can also manually create an entry for all users by creating a file
under /usr/share/applications.