Verizon DSL

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sun Aug 14 04:39:46 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 08:29:07PM -0400, aveline wrote:
> not to hijack this thread but one of my partners has verizon & shes in
> texas.  I don't know how to help her set up the firewall part of her
> connection, she was given a Westell router/modem afaik, and I wondered
> if one of you kind souls could perhaps show me (with or w/out pix) how
> to do it?  Also the one time she did enable the FW she says it lagged
> her to hell & back for some reason, even on minimum settings.  I don't
> understand why & wondered if any of you had some idea?  I am in canada
> & do not use verizon so I have no way to know how this works w/her.

There's a strangely undocumented problem in the Westell
modems, which I document here:

http://laniels.org/weblog/tech/westell_modems_are_also_routers.html

This explains the lagging. Follow the directions therein to
fix it. See if that's your problem. Let us know if you need
any more help.

Cheers,
Steve

--