Sharing a Folder in Ubuntu for Other computers to see

William Chapman jeddahbill at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 15:58:58 UTC 2005

Caleb,

I also have a small network with windows and linux boxes on the same
workgroup.  My windows machines (some are dual-boot and can be brought
up in either os) can see samba-shared folders on the linux boxes.

Your problem could relate to samba not recognizing the user name on
the windows machine(s) attempting to browse the samba shares.  Do you
use identical user names on the windows and linux machines?  Either
way, you may have to "register" the windows user name(s) with samba
like so:

http://ubuntuguide.org/#addeditdeletenetworkusers

Even though I use the same user name on several machines, and still
had to do this to enable browsing across all machines on the network.

Also, I don't know that much about samba, but you can probably
configure it to be "wide open" to any user attempting to browse.

Anyway, I'm sure there are many samba experts out there who can give a
more authoritative answer than mine.

Good luck,

Bill