Modem device is owned by root, so my user can't access it.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 12 20:28:52 UTC 2005

Neil Woolford wrote:

> At 02:02 12/08/05, you wrote:
>
>>Neil Woolford wrote:
>>
>> > How can I best change this behaviour?  (Ideally I'd also like a
>> > persistant /dev/modem that links to the
>> > /dev/536ep0 device as well, so that the applications can call the more
>> > standard name.)
>>
>>udev!  We really need a smart udev gui :-)  You would seem to have a
>>somewhat unusual modem device.  So you'd need a rule in udev like:
>>
>>BUS="pci", KERNEL="536ep0", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="modem", GROUP="dialout"
>>
>>YMMV.  I haven't tried it :-)
>
> Thanks for that.  I'm sure it is the right track;  my mileage did vary,
> I'm afraid.

Not surprising :-)

> I tried the suggested line in /etc/udev/udev.rules as this appears to be
> the appropriate
> file, but it made no difference, even after the command 'udev restart' or
> an actual reboot.
>
> Did I put the line in the right file?  Some of the howto information that
> I looked at suggested

It's hard to say if you did, though I would recommend against
changing /etc/udev/udev.rules.  The rules are actually executed
from /etc/udev/rules.d/ in the usual "runparts" order (one file in there
symlinks to /etc/udev/udev.rules), so you would want to check that there
isn't already a rule somewhere in there for your modem.

> Also, I haven't gone into the rule syntax properly;  I'm particularly
> suspicious of assuming
> that KERNEL="536ep0" is correct.  536ep0 *is* the device name that the
> system is using
> by default, but the kernel module is Intel536.ko (IIRC).

Use udevinfo, as specified in /usr/share/doc/udev/writing_udev_rules to find
out what it really is you need to test.  aiui, "KERNEL" isn't the module
but the name the kernel gives the device (which isn't necessarily the same
as the /dev name, but will be if you use NAME="%k"
--
derek