cd burner

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 19:54:56 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> I've never quite figured out what happened there, but afaict cdrecord does,
> in fact, play quite well (but somewhat differently) with the newer kernels.
> I'm not sure whether this is because the author is just ranting or because
> downstream packagers are fixing his code (I think the latter) but I've got
> no problem with k3b, 2.6.12 kernel and breezy cdrecord.

Thanks for the affirmation -- that has been my experience, too, though
I gather the way some of the versions have worked on newer kernels was
considered a "hack" by purists, so there will probably be more changes
down the line.

The person who started this thread (Renato Henriques
<repehe at yahoo.com>) asked specifically about solutions for PowerPC,
and while I primarily use PowerPC it just so happens my burners are on
intel systems. I presume it works fine on all architectures.

I think cdrecord is wonderful and mysterious but a little frustrating
to figure out initially. I recommend it highly to people to aspire to
greater things on their linux systems. Once you install the
cdrtools-doc package and read the documentation to learn some of the
more esoteric options in cdrecord, then try it and see it work
perfectly, it can give you great confidence to try other interesting
things.