cd burner

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 12 00:46:02 UTC 2005

Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On 8/11/05, Renato Henriques <repehe at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Besides nautilus, is there a similar cd app similar to toast on MacOS X
>> or
>> Nero for Windows?  It must work for linux power-pc as well.
>
> Many (all?) of the solutions mentioned in this thread actually call
> cdrecord on the back end. Have a look at the man pages for cdrecord
> and see if it does whatever it is you want. It does EVERYTHING -- the
> previously mentioned tools just being graphical front-ends to its
> myriad features. I believe it's the same package ported to all the
> distros and architectures. Unfortunately the original author developed
> a difference of opinion with some open source maintainers and dropped
> his support so the code isn't playing as well with newer kernels.

I've never quite figured out what happened there, but afaict cdrecord does,
in fact, play quite well (but somewhat differently) with the newer kernels.
I'm not sure whether this is because the author is just ranting or because
downstream packagers are fixing his code (I think the latter) but I've got
no problem with k3b, 2.6.12 kernel and breezy cdrecord.
--
derek