Creating packages of python

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Aug 12 18:15:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:46:21AM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
[..]
>This raises the question.  Much of the code is firmly rooted at
>/usr/local/camram/  I assume it's okay to keep that dependency in place
>and not make it something that can be installed anywhere?

The Debian packaging system helps you maintain differences that you make
in order to package it. That's what the .diff.gz file is for when you
download the source package.

>>If I would try to package this piece of SW I think I'd start with
>>repackaging it. Download all pieces, unpack them in sub-directories.
>>Then I'd add a build system (probably a Makefile :-) that uses the
>>build systems of the pieces and adds any high-level tasks that need to
>>be performed. I'd make sure the Makefile separates configuration,
>>build and install. After verifying that this whole thing works I'd tar
>>the whole thing together and use this behemoth as a base for my
>>Debian/Ubuntu packaging.
>
>here's my bias.  I would download each of the individual pieces, build
>individual if they do not already exist in the universe somewhere, and
>make them all available.  Instructions with them tell the user to build
>their own local repository in the filesystem and install that way.
>Unless of course there is a way of installing packages directly
>(dpkg??) without the overhead of setting up a local repository.
>Alternatively, support a repository for them.  Well, actually have
>savanna support a repository for them.

There isn't much work you have to do to put up a repository of packages
you build manually. It's of course even easier to just upload .debs and
let the user use dpkg to install the stuff manually.

It is a very good idea indeed to separate the parts into separate
packages.

>I would need to expand my knowledge beyond the simplistic use of
>dh_make in order to build all these packages.  Care to be my mentor?  I
>do have a clue every odd Thursday.

I'm not sure I'd really qualify, but I'd be glad to help in any way I
can.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned
my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him
the spinal cord would fully suffice.
     -- Albert Einstein