No Sound

Inhabitant of Zion inhabitantofzion at eml.cc
Fri Aug 12 13:35:04 UTC 2005

Yeee-f-ing-haaaa! Got it working...

Dunno why but it was a combination of ID10T problems.

Firstly i remembered that when I built the system (6 years ago) there
was something in the manaul about problems with the sequence of PCI
hardware. It basically said that you had to install a video card
in the first PCI or things would not work correctly. Of course this
was not a problem as I had been using a AGP card. However I was not
able to get AGP cards to work in Ubuntu on this machine so i had
put in a old Voodoo 3000 PCI card. Yep you guessed it! I put it in the
wrong slot.

Did that and booted. Xorg threw a wobbler. So I did dpgk-reconfugre
xserver-xorg

Then when I got into the system I found I had a new device under file
- change device.

It listed a Sound Fusion CS46xx (ALSA mixer).

Still no sound...

Then I noticed in the preferences that several things were not
selected namely -

IEC958 Input and IEC958 Output

Selecting these made the sound card jump into life.

Hazaa!

So this needs adding to the WIKI I think

Cheers

--
  John Willby Registered Linux user number 321644
  ICQ: 92791912  MSN: sillydilly at spamcop.net
  Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti
  catapultas habebunt
 14:24:25 up  7:08,  1 user,  load average: 0.13, 0.18, 0.09