Creating packages of python

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Aug 12 03:27:31 UTC 2005

Magnus Therning wrote:
> Why isn't distutils appropriate? I've packaged applications using it,
> it's even quite easy...

I don't want to contaminate the python file hierarchy.  I want my code
installed "elsewhere".  only modules for general use belong in
/usr/lib/python*/  applications should have their own lib directory etc.

> The drawback using a shell script is that it doesn't offer much
> flexibility to the person installing. If you do provide flexibility in a
> shell script then it quickly becomes big and complicated and you'd be
> better off using distutils (or auto-tools).

usually no argument.

> Makefiles don't have to be incomprehensible. They easily get that way,
> but they don't have to be.

I *love* your sense of humor.

> I'd love to take a look at the shell script... can I download your
> software somewhere?

http://harvee.org/download/raging_dormouse-0.4.15.tar.gz

downloads and installs all of the components needed for camram (hey, I
didn't name it).  I was going for distribution independence but then I
found ubuntu and the scales fell from my eyes.

don't laugh too hard please. :-)

--- eric