Hauppauge WinTV-GO tuner with Ubuntu?

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Fri Aug 12 02:22:11 UTC 2005

c-m writes:

> I think the card is fine, but there is still the problem of sound. As
> this is universal i.e in xawtv and tvtime i take it that it is some
> sort of setting that needs sorting.

Open a window, and type aumix to get the sound mixer. There are
several in Ubuntu, but I use aumix, (because I'm old and so is aumix,)
and here is what I use:

    Set the red dot on the left, (i.e., Rec,) to IGain, (I bet this
        fixes it.)
    Set the Vol slider to about 50
    Set the Pcm slider to about 50
    Set the Line slider to 100, (If the IGain didn't fix it, I
        bet this will-careful, 100 may be loud)

That ought to get you sound. To align you sound system, (if you were
potty trained by a despot,) see: http://www.johncon.com/john/sound/,
or twiddle until it sounds about right.

Bear in mind that aumix is a sound mixer-you can watch/listen to TV,
with mp3 music in the background, while doing Voip/Skype, all at the
same time; the mixer is the sound console that balances/mixes all the
signals. The default set up is, usually, for CD or mp3 music.

   John

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/