PCMCIA woes

Ian K omega21 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:37:33 UTC 2005

Hi there,
I have a laptop, a Panasonic Toughbook CF-37.
It has a Ricoh PCMCIA slot (I dont know the right term)
the model of the slot is RL5C475. The main reason that
I need this working, is internet. When this laptop was on
Windows (98 or ME) a found a nice DLink card. I also have
a Linksys card. (I know the D-Link works with this computer though.)
I'm not very familiar with Linux. I know the dmesg stuff,
but have never actually installed a PCMCIA driver or anything.
I know that when I plug the card into the slot, a dmesg
says:

cs: unable to apply power

as well as something about IRQ 9 and I also see 'nobody cared.'

Any ideas?
Thanks very much.
I look forward to your replies.
Ian