K3B, better: cdrecord is not able to burn cds on a scd0-device asnormal user

douglas_slac ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Aug 11 23:16:02 UTC 2005

Ok, I think I found the problem, and it is -not- the setuid (and I
believe you mean setuid as root) on /usr/bin/cdrecord*.

The problem is that k3b checks the ability to write to /dev/cdrom,
which is fine, and this gets linked to /dev/scd0, which is also fine.
In this case there is root and groupd rw permission, and the group is
cdrom, which my username is part of the cdrom group, so this is all
fine.  (check your groups with 'grep <user> /etc/group').

But for some reason cdrecord does not write to /dev/cdrom, or
/dev/scd0, but instead /dev/sg0.  This device has rw permissions for
root and group, but it is in the 'disk' group.

I put my username in the disk group (sudo gedit /etc/group) and logged
out and back in, and then I can run k3b without problems.

Where can I comment on ubuntu setup and install that perhaps users
should be part of the 'disk' group?

--
douglas_slac