Please Remember Netiquette <snip>

matthew ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Aug 11 19:58:34 UTC 2005

Hakim Singhji Wrote:
> On 8/11/05, Arjan Geven <arjangeven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that this is a newbie friendly list. However, I do not

> think this is the best approach for newbies. I'm of the opinion that

> the adaptation of certain guidelines allows for proper learning for

> and preparation for non-newbie environments. C'mon you can't be a

> newbie for ever.

I agree, and I appreciate your attitude very much. Thank you.

> BTW, I still consider myself a newbie, I'm still in college but I know

> for me netiquette saves some time and annoyance. It also helps to

> clearly objectify problems especially with gurus that don't have a lot

> of time to decipher pages of nested text.

If something is worth doing it is worth trying to do well. No one is
born with all the skills and abilities we need in life, most must be
learned. My thought is that if a person is willing to do what they are
capable of I am more than happy to go out of my way to help them. If a
person is not willing/too lazy to do the simple things they already
know then I see my role being changed from helper to enabler--I have no
desire to enable someone to be lazy, but I have a great desire to help
people learn and be productive.

Netiquette, whether in the detailed form as described in the quoted web
page or simply choosing to be kind, gracious and humble in your request
while doing what you can to make the job of assisting you as simple as
possible is always appreciated.

Thank you, Hakim for bringing up what I consider a useful and important
topic.

BTW, maybe I'm moving into the "grumpy old geek" stage...I hope not.
Sometimes I feel like it, though. I got my first computer in 1981,
started using Unix in college where I even studied such esoteric things
as Lisp (don't remember any of it, though, just that I have to count
parentheses), have used DOS, every version of Windows since 3.0, and
now with Linux I am back to the unix mindset after a long absence. I
got my first email account in 1987 (local on the university's vax
system), used to post on BBS's for years until the internet really
caught on, my first internet account in 1994 or 95, and so on.
Sometimes I feel like this guy:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20050803

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20050810

Bummer, I'm older than he is...35.