Creating packages of python

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Aug 11 12:07:44 UTC 2005

Magnus Therning wrote:

> I have packaged a few pure python programs, feel free to take a look at
> them:
>
>  http://therning.org/magnus/computer/apt-repo/
>  http://therning.org/magnus_apt/

interesting.  I'm interested in packaging a Python program as well.

> How is the package built? distutils or a plain makefile?

neither.  Since it is a standalone application, it is not appropriate to
use distutils.  I use a shell script to install and do initial
configuration.  Makefiles aren't appropriate because all they would do
would be to take a shell script and reduce it to something
incomprehensible.

> CDBS is by far the most simple way of packaging, but it is generally a
> good idea to first package something using dh_* the first time out, just
> to gain some understanding of what is going on.

what you say is true if you buy into the autoconfig world.  However, it
would be nice if they were support for those of us that prefer different
build solutions.  Maybe there is and I just don't know it.  It would be
nice to find out I was wrong.

---eric