Creating packages of python

Marc Wiriadisastra strikeforce at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 11 02:33:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 21:42 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 03:51:24PM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> >I've been having a look at the packaging howto's up on the web.
> >However the package that I'm trying to create is a python based one as
> >in its completely python and it doesn't have a compile type setting in
> >the purest sense.
> >
> >Does anyone have any links where I can further investigate how to setup
> >my debian/rules file for python based applications that *don't* require
> >pre-compiling?
>
> I have packaged a few pure python programs, feel free to take a look at
> them:
>
>  http://therning.org/magnus/computer/apt-repo/
>  http://therning.org/magnus_apt/
>
> How is the package built? distutils or a plain makefile?
>
> CDBS is by far the most simple way of packaging, but it is generally a
> good idea to first package something using dh_* the first time out, just
> to gain some understanding of what is going on.
>
> /M

Do you mind me emailing you directly with the hopefully completed
package to see whether I'm going about it the right way.  Since I'm
still learning and I don't think me getting involved with the dev
mailing list would be of anyone's benefit since my experience is mainly
in the rpm based distro's.

Marc