Can't install smeg menu editor, dependancy problem.

Arjan Geven arjangeven at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:37:47 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, Neil Woolford <neil at neilwoolford.co.uk> wrote:
> Interesting.  At first sight, the same backports and extras repositories
> that I already had enabled.  However, the subtle but vital point was
> that the ones suggested by ubuuntuguide.org are on mirrormax.net rather
> than the 'official' backports on ubuntu.com.
>
> The two sets of repositories seem to be slightly out of step as when I
> changed backports from ubuntu.com to mirrormax.net (using synaptic's
> repository dialogue) I was able to use synaptic to successfully install
> smeg.  (Also, a number of packages are now newly reported as local or
> obsolete, so they are presumably in the ubuntu.com version of backports
> but not the mirrormax.net one.)
>
> This probably isn't a good situation;  should we be looking to ensure
> closer synchronisation of these (superficially) identical repositories?
>
> Neil

If I remember it right, these are not the same repositories, and don't
synchronise. The 'real' repositories from ubuntu.com are backports
from Breezy, and have only existed as such for a few weeks now.

The one from mirrormax is -not- official, but has been around much
longer. This repository contains presumably working applications that
have been updated with features after Hoary's release, but are not
copies from the Breezy backports. If you can, try to use the official
backports, since these will usually not break your system. I'm not so
sure with the unofficial ones.

Regards,
Arjan