Can't install smeg menu editor, dependancy problem.

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 09:19:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 15:29 -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Neil Woolford wrote:

> > I'm trying to use synaptic to install smeg from hoary-backports.
> >
> > Synaptic reports a dependency problem with python-xdg:  it needs version
> >
> >>=0.14 but can only find 0.9 in the repositories.
> >

> > I have hoary-backports enabled - main, universe, multiverse and
> > restricted - (otherwise I'd not find smeg at all), what have I missed?
> >
> > Neil
> >

> Match your sources.list against this one
> http://ubuntuguide.org/#extrarepositories

Interesting.  At first sight, the same backports and extras repositories
that I already had enabled.  However, the subtle but vital point was
that the ones suggested by ubuuntuguide.org are on mirrormax.net rather
than the 'official' backports on ubuntu.com.

The two sets of repositories seem to be slightly out of step as when I
changed backports from ubuntu.com to mirrormax.net (using synaptic's
repository dialogue) I was able to use synaptic to successfully install
smeg.  (Also, a number of packages are now newly reported as local or
obsolete, so they are presumably in the ubuntu.com version of backports
but not the mirrormax.net one.)

This probably isn't a good situation;  should we be looking to ensure
closer synchronisation of these (superficially) identical repositories?

Neil