howto 'apt-get update' offline

James Livingston jrl at ids.org.au
Wed Aug 10 09:22:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 14:34 +0530, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> For this, first thing I require is to be able to do an 'apt-get update' offline.
> What I intend to do is: get a list of files that will be downloaded
> and knowledge
> of where exactly they will be placed by the 'apt-get update' command.
> Once I have
> this info, I can easily use wget or silimar to download all those files from
> another connected computer, carry those to my system, and get its package info
> uptodate. Then I can use apt-get to get a list of packages to be downloaded to
> install some software. I can then use wget to download those software from
> the connected computer and carry them home. This should work. What do you
> think?
>
> Anyway, I am now stuck at apt-get update. Can you tell me which files are
> downloaded by the update, and where they are to be placed?

apt-get --print-uris install somepackage

will tell you the uris of the packages that would have been downloaded
and installed.

dpkg -i somepackage.deb otherpackage.deb

will install the packages from the .deb files that you've since
downloaded. Alternatively you could place them where apt-get downloads
them to, in /var/cache/apt/archive/, and then use apt-get install to
install them.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
If you wish to live wisely, ignore sayings -- including this one.