USB key on IBM Thinkpad

Barry Tice python at pointcontrol.com
Tue Aug 9 22:50:50 UTC 2005

Greetings.

I installed Ubuntu for the first time this morning, from an iso downloaded
last night. It went on (wiped) an IBM Thinkpad 390E that previously had
Fedora Core 1 on it.

With FC1, I was able to access a USB key drive. I have not been able to do
so under Ubuntu. Any information about why this would be the case would be
most appreciated.

I went into the #ubuntu IRC channel, where someone who was trying to help
requestedthe  information returned  from dmesg, lshal, lspci, lsusb and
lsmod commands. They can be found in the pastebins at:

dmesg: http://paste.ubuntulinux.nl/1086
lshal: http://paste.ubuntulinux.nl/1087
lspci: http://paste.ubuntulinux.nl/1088
lsusb: (No information returned)
lsmod: http://paste.ubuntulinux.nl/1090

After reviewing my data, the conversation ended as such:

Other Person: is the usb key plugged in now?
Me: Yes, it is.
Other Person: odd enough, the key isn't even seen on the hardware level.
Probably because the drivers of your USB controller are not recognized. What
have you tried so far to make it recognize this controller?
Me: I've tried posting here ;-) I'm no Linux expert by a long shot, so I'm
not real sure where to begin. There was no Mounting tool available from the
System directory as there was from Fedora Core 1, so I didn't know I even
had a problem at this level until now.
Other Person: normally, if all goes right, usb keys are automagically
mounted. I'm searching for a solution to the driver problem
Other Person: what is the brand/type of your laptop?
Me: IBM Thinkpad 390E.
Other Person: it's getting weirder by the minute - the driver is loaded!
Me: At least I'm making it interesting...
Other Person: this is over my head, please subscribe to
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com and post your question there, please include
the links (and descriptions) to the pastebin posts. I'm sorry that I can't
help you any further

So here I am.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide in figuring out how to
fix this!

-- Barry Tice