is ubuntu suitable for computer without internet connection..

sean at seanmiller.net sean at seanmiller.net
Tue Aug 9 11:29:56 UTC 2005

> hi.. i'm a newbie in ubuntu and linux..i'm planning to install ubuntu
> on my dorm which there are no internet connection available.. does it
> suitable for stand alone computer without any internet conecction?
> because i've been told that ubuntu is very powerful when there are
> internet connection such as when i'm trying to install something or
> update something just as written on unofficial ubuntu guide..

If you don't have an internet connection then you will be unable to access
the online repositories whilst in your dorm, but you will be able to
install from the CDs... just means that you won't have quite as large a
selection of software to install, but you will have a very useful install.

Presumably you could still access the said repositories when you are
elsewhere with Internet access?

So, in short... I think the answer is yes, very much so... it is very
suitable for purpose with - or without - a connection to the WWW.

Books? Well Ubuntu is basically Debian Linux so any of the wealth of books
available for either Debian or generic Linux should be fine... I'd avoid
specifically "Red Hat 9 Bible" type ones because they'll go into specifics
of that distro that will just lead you up blind alleys.

Best of luck !

Sean